Thursday, December 16, 2010

Perfect Skin...

As I was growing up my mother would tell me "Paula, take care of your skin, stay out of the sun, don't scrunch your forehead or else you will look like your father." At the time, like any other kid, I would roll my eyes. Now at 37 I absolutely take care of my skin, I wear sun screen daily and am still trying not to scrunch my forehead.  Two out three things ain’t bad as Meatloaf says! If you don't know who Meatloaf is then you are too young.
But you are never too young to start taking care of your skin. Cleanse your skin, moisturize twice daily, use separate eye cream and use sun screen. Those are 4 products that should be part of every woman’s beauty ritual. And yes it is a ritual. Just like any habit once you start it, it won't take you long. There are other products you can add to your regime but if you are a basic no fuss kind of girl you will be fine with these steps. If you are like me and are deathly afraid of aging (yes, I am) - then you need more steps. Masks are a must (cleansing and hydrating) depending on the season. Exfoliating can be done with gentle scrubs or my favorite new product the Clarsonic Mia. It is worth every penny. It makes your skin feel so soft. It says you can use it twice a day but I found that my skin couldn't handle it so I use it once a day with my cleanser. I also like to use skin brighteners to keep my skin tone even.
I was a sun worshiper as a kid (yes, even when my mother used to tell me not to use the baby oil I did anyway). Oh and those lovely tanning beds - yep did those too. I am very lucky that I don't have a lot of skin damage. I am not just guessing, my dermatologist said so. I see her every year.  I must say that even though I do take care of my skin, genetics has been helping a lot too. Don't get me wrong, I love having sun kissed skin I just got a pool this summer so I better spend some time out there or my husband will divorce me. So when I am floating in my raft I use sunscreen, big sunglasses and a big sun hat. My husband says you’re going to get weird tan lines. I tell him that's what makeup is for! I can fix that easily. I would rather look like a bug than wrinkled and dried up!
Drinking water is also another step to having great skin.  I started this habit very early on life, once again because of my mother.  And of course, working up a sweat is important, at least once a day. Sweating cleanses your skin. Your skin is the biggest organ so you better protect it.
To conclude this lesson, I go back to those famous words my beautiful mother said to me, Ttake care of your skin, don't go in the sun (without sun screen) and don't scrunch your forehead or else you will look like your father. Listen to your mother or at least mine, she does know best.

-Peace-
PBO Glam Director
Paula Harvey 

Above Photo: Right to Left - Paula Harvey, Amber Ameredes and Cathy Savage 

No comments:

Post a Comment